Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Day 12 - Dan Callahan, Pine Glen Elementary Instructional Technology



I love having iPads at Pine Glen.

The best reason for having the iPads in our school is that using truly mobile devices helps redefine the connection between technology and learning. No longer does technology use and instruction happen only in the computer lab, or on a few stations stuffed into the corner of the classroom. Now the classroom is endlessly configurable, and we can go and interact with the world itself.

In the past month, we’ve used the iPads in all sorts of ways at Pine Glen. I’ve seen students sitting at desks working, sure, but I’ve also seen them using their iPads while lying on the floor or curled up on a piece of cozy furniture. I’ve seen them used as centers in classrooms and with every student having a device. They’ve become one resource among many for some projects, and the main resource for others. I’ve had students racing around the school to capture video for their parents, and students going outside to take pictures of trees to share with the world. They’ve become an indispensable tool for gathering information, and a powerful, flexible way of demonstrating learning.

I’m a firm believer that pedagogy comes first. We need to make smart instructional decisions that will have maximum impact on our students’ learning. I love having the iPads in my school not because I like having the latest gadget, but because they’re making good pedagogy easier and more accessible to teachers and students than ever before.

1 comment:

  1. This is such a timely post for our school, Dan. We were just talking about this yesterday. Have you posted about your school's pedagogical decisions and learning design process? How do you choose the best inquiry projects, endeavors? What projects have really excited the students while building strong academic growth? Thanks for letting me know. As always, you and and your colleagues are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete