Thursday, October 4, 2012

Day 4 - Susan Price, BHS Foreign Language Dept.


Bonjour! í Hola! I’m Susan La Raia Price and currently teach French and Spanish at
BHS. I’m also the Advisor to the French Club. I’ve been teaching foreign languages for
over 30 years. I’ve taught at both the middle school and high school levels in both the
public and private sectors, but I must say that BHS is the best place in which to teach.
The last three years have been a pivotal point in my pedagogy. I’m still the passionate,
caring and enthusiastic teacher who inspires students in acquiring skills to learn a
foreign language, and I’m always willing to help my students succeed. I particularly love
communicating with students and parents beyond the high school walls. Working with
both students and their families is one of the most rewarding aspects of teaching at
BHS.

Three years ago, I was very reluctant to integrate technology into my pedagogy
because frankly, I was intimidated by it. If it weren’t for Principal Patrick Larkin to
encourage me, I would not be using it today. Mr. Larkin believed in my ability to
succeed. He was a true motivator and coach challenging me to broaden my horizons.
He has been that impetus in my success. Mr. Dennis Villano, Mr. Andrew Marcinek,
and Mr. Timothy Calvin have also been wonderful mentors to me.  I felt so accomplished 
when one of my classroom projects got featured last Spring in Edutopia.
My interest in technology has heightened as I’m now working with Mr. Andrew
Cunningham, a consultant from Net-Texts to put my French III class on line.

That’s a big step for this Boomer!! I’m a lifelong learner!

No comments:

Post a Comment